- Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd. 2013. Notifiable and Other Diseases in New Zealand: Annual report 2012. URL: https://surv.esr.cri.nz/PDF_surveillance/AnnualRpt/AnnualSurv/2012/2012AnnualSurvRpt.pdf (accessed 19 August 2013).
- Roper MH, Wassilak SGF, Tiwari TSP, et al. 2013. Tetanus toxoid. In: Plotkin SA, Orenstein WA, Offit PA (eds). Vaccines (6th edition): Elsevier Saunders.
- Simonsen O, Bentzon MW, Kjeldsen K, et al. 1987. Evaluation of vaccination requirements to secure continuous antitoxin immunity to tetanus. Vaccine 5(2): 115–22.
- Ministry of Health. 2012. National Guidelines for Vaccine Storage and Distribution. URL: www.health.govt.nz/publication/national-guidelines-vaccine-storage-and-distribution-2012
- Beytout J, Launay O, Guiso N, et al. 2009. Safety of Tdap-IPV given 1 month after Td-IPV booster in healthy young adults: a placebo controlled trial. Human Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics 5(5): 315–21.
- Talbot EA, Brown KH, Kirkland KB, et al. 2010. The safety of immunizing with tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) less than 2 years following previous tetanus vaccination: experience during a mass vaccination campaign of health care personnel during a respiratory illness outbreak. Vaccine 28(50): 8001–7.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2011. Updated recommendations for use of tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, 2010. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 60(1). URL: www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm6001.pdf (accessed 21 October 2013).
- Smith J. 1995. Tetanus infection may not confer immunity. New Zealand Public Health Report 6: 53.
- Mark A, Carlsson RM, Granstrom M. 1999. Subcutaneous versus intramuscular injection for booster DT vaccination of adolescents. Vaccine 17(15–16): 2067–72.
- Klein NP, Hansen J, Lewis E, et al. 2010. Post-marketing safety evaluation of a tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and 3-component acellular pertussis vaccine administered to a cohort of adolescents in a United States health maintenance organization. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 29(7): 613–17.
- Yih WK, Nordin JD, Kulldorff M, et al. 2009. An assessment of the safety of adolescent and adult tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine, using active surveillance for adverse events in the Vaccine Safety Datalink. Vaccine 27(32): 4257–62.
- Vaccine Safety Committee: Institute of Medicine. 1994. Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids. In: Stratton KR, Howe CJ, Johnston RB (eds). Adverse Events Associated with Childhood Vaccines: Evidence bearing on causality. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- Tuttle RJ, Chen RT, Rantala H, et al. 1997. The risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome after tetanus-toxoid-containing vaccines in adults and children in the United States. American Journal of Public Health 87(12): 2045–48.