2 Processes for safe immunisation
- Ministry of Health. 2012. National Guidelines for Vaccine Storage and Distribution. URL: www.health.govt.nz/publication/national-guidelines-vaccine-storage-and-distribution-2012
- Health and Disability Commissioner. Code of Health and Disability Services Consumers’ Rights. URL: www.hdc.org.nz/media/24833/leaflet%20code%20of%20rights.pdf (accessed 5 November 2013).
- Poland GA, Borrud A, Jacobsen RM, et al. 1997. Determination of deltoid fat pad thickness: implications for needle length in adult immunization. Journal of the American Medical Association 277(21): 1709–11.
- Koster MP, Stellato N, Kohn N, et al. 2009. Needle length for immunization of early adolescents as determined by ultrasound. Pediatrics 124(2): 667–72.
- Cook IF. 2011. An evidence based protocol for the prevention of upper arm injury related to vaccine administration (UAIRVA). Human Vaccines 7(8): 845–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2012. Appendix D: Vaccine administration. In: Atkinson W, Hamborsky J, Wolfe S, et al (eds). Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-preventable Diseases (12th edition). Washington DC: Public Health Foundation.
- Ministry of Health. 1996. Technical Guidelines for Tuberculin Testing and BCG Vaccination 1996. URL: www.moh.govt.nz/notebook/nbbooks.nsf/0/940C7A59732C76154C2565D700187D7B/$file/Technical%20Guidelines%20TB%20and%20BCG%201996.pdf
- Prymula R, Siegrest CA, Chlibek R, et al. 2009. Effect of prophylactic paracetamol administration at time of vaccination on febrile reactions and antibody responses in children: two open-label, randomised controlled trials. The Lancet 374(9698): 1339–50.
- Taddio A, Appleton M, Bortolussi R, et al. 2010. Reducing the pain of childhood vaccination: an evidence-based clinical practice guideline. Canadian Medical Association Journal 182(18): E841–55.
- Taddio A, Ilersich A, Ipp M, et al. 2009. Physical interventions and injection techniques for reducing injection pain during routine childhood immunizations: systematic review of randomized controlled trials and quasi-randomized controlled trials. Clinical Therapeutics 31(Supplement 2): S48–76.
- Berberich FR, Landman Z. 2009. Reducing immunization discomfort in 4- to 6-year old children: a randomized clinical trial. Pediatrics 124(2): e203–09.
- Harrington JW, Logan S, Harwell C, et al. 2012. Effective analgesia using physical interventions for infant immunizations. Pediatrics 129(5). DOI: 10.1542/peds.2011-1607 (accessed 5 November 2013).
- Department of Health and Ageing. 2013. Vaccination procedures: post vaccination. The Australian Immunisation Handbook (10th edition). Canberra, ACT: Department of Health and Ageing.
- Goodwin H, Nash M, Gold M, et al. 1999. Vaccination of children following a previous hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 35(6): 549–52.